Unizin is seeking an experienced software engineer/architect who wants to be involved in both building and architecting software for a purpose with social value and with people who share a passion for building great software in that mission.
In response to the rapid pace of technological advancement in higher education, a number of leading research universities formed Unizin. The Unizin Consortium is working to improve the digital learning experience by providing an environment built on collaboration, data, standards, and scale. Unizin is membership-based, governed by those institutions as a not-for-profit service operator, and currently composed of 25 institutions totaling more than 800,000 students.
Unizin is intent on helping its institutions achieve their goals by providing a dynamic ecosystem of platforms and applications for content, learning environments, and data. Institutions will use these products, underlying content, and analytics to enable next generation digital teaching and learning.
Overview of this position:
Based in Austin, TX , the Sr. Software Engineer/Architect will be responsible for planning, technical design, and engineering content and data platforms that support institutional and consortium strategies for Unizin. This role will own reference architecture and guide while participating in the engineering of the backend in a multi-cloud infrastructure (AWS & GCP). This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Participate in product and platform engineering projects
- Develop, manage, test, review and merge code
- Participate in agile methodology to plan and execute as a team
- Develop and maintain an aspirational architecture roadmap indicating current, transition, and future state architectures
- Deliver architectural initiatives that create value for Unizin inline with product management
- Stay current on emerging technologies; analyze, prototype and develop a point of view for core, enabling, and emerging technologies
- Manage cloud security controls
- Lead internal audits and participate in third party audits/inquiries
- Manage privacy controls to maintain compliance with FERPA
- Minimum 5 years of software engineering and architecture in a product company
- Expertise in platform design, API design, application architecture, data technologies
- Expertise in Java, Python/Django
- Expertise in data tier technologies and their use - RDBMS, NoSQL, Column stores, Data Lake Architecture, ETL, Datamarts
- Experience with authentication/authorization and single sign-on techniques and technologies
- Experience with content/asset management platforms
- Experience working with cloud platform providers and their managed services
- Familiarity with cloud costing models, cost monitoring, and cost optimization
- Experience with infrastructure monitoring techniques
- Ability to provide strategic and architectural input and guidance
- System design and modeling skills (e.g. domain driven design, data modeling, API design)
- Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, DevOps, and Infrastructure-as-Code experience
- Experience with Docker/Kubernetes containers
- Excellent one-on-one communication and presentation skills, specifically able to convey technical information in a clear and unambiguous manner
You will stand out from the crowd with any combination of these:
- Experience with both Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in a product or services provider serving higher education
- Experience in an architecture role within a large university
- Experience with Nuxeo Content Management Platform
- Experience with Common Education Data Standards (CEDS)
- Experience with IMS Global Standards, specifically LTI and Caliper
- Experience with a Learning Record Store
Unizin respects diversity and relies on our employees' varied backgrounds and perspectives to spark innovation. All candidates are encouraged to apply.